We help families and individuals complete their income tax return and apply for the Federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), a refundable federal income tax credit of up to $6,242.
You are eligible for free tax preparation and E-filing if your annual household income is $62,000 or less.
Our IRS certified volunteers are available to prepare returns by appointment only. If you are interested, please call the United Way at 2-1-1 or 1-800-887-1107 to schedule your appointment.
This program is only available from February through April 15 each year.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO BRING TO YOUR APPOINTMENT:
Please note: If you are filing jointly, both adults must be present at the appointment to sign the tax return.
- Social Security card for each family member
- Valid Driver's License or State ID for each adult
- W-2 form for all jobs worked (including Gambling/Lottery winnings)
- 1099 forms for other income (including Unemployment, Misc. Income)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Letter
- DHS Assistance (Annual Statement)
- Child Support (Annual Statement)
- 2015 tax return (if available)
Proof of Expenses:
- Proof of rent or mortgage and property tax payments
- Childcare expenses (including Childcare provider's name, address and federal tax ID number)
- Student loan interest or tuition and course materials
- Last year's heating bills (11/2015 - 11/2016)
- Any other tax-related letters or documents you have received (including letters from the IRS)
Direct Deposit Information:
- Blank, voided check (to set up direct deposit of your refund
Income Tax Preparation is offered through the VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Program), from February through April 15th each year, in partnership with the Heart of West Michigan United Way Kent County Tax Credit Coalition.